Blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery is one of the most common cosmetic procedures in the world. The upper eyelids and sometimes the lower eyelids of your eye may have sagged or become weak or loose as part of the aging process or genetics.
This process is called drooping eyelids. With blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery in Iran, you can treat drooping of the upper eyelids, as well as the puffiness under the eyes in less than 1 hour, and have attractive, fresh, and young eyes. Although blepharoplasty is often considered a cosmetic procedure, it is good to know that this surgery also has a therapeutic aspect and can also improve the patients’ scope of vision. You will know more details about blepharoplasty below.
Who can have eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty in Iran?
This operation is usually performed on people older than 30 years. But sometimes genetic issues can cause drooping eyelids or puffy eyes at a younger age. You are a good candidate for blepharoplasty if:
- You have extra skin and wrinkles on your upper eyelids or under your eyes.
- Have extra fat on the upper eyelid.
- Have puffiness under the eyes.
- Your eyelids are drooping.
- You want to rejuvenate your eyelids.
- The groove of the upper eyelid is not formed properly (as are in Chinese and Japanese)
- You should be healthy and disease-free.
- You should not suffer from acute eye problems.
- you should not smoke.
- you should have a realistic expectation of eyelid surgery.
What are the types of eyelid surgery in Iran?
Eyelid surgery, also known as blepharoplasty, improves the appearance of the upper and lower eyelids in different ways, including:
- In the eyes of some people, the groove of the upper eyelid is not formed properly, as are in Chinese and Japanese. Oriental blepharoplasty is performed in these patients.
- Blepharoplasty regurgitation is a type of eyelid surgery used to rejuvenate eyelids in the elderly or people who have a genetic susceptibility to drooping eyelids.
- In some patients, eyelid surgery is performed to repair excessive looseness of the upper and lower eyelids. In this kind of eyelid surgery, the function of the eyelids is improved. It is called Functional Blepharoplasty.
Eyelid surgery is also classified as follows:
- Upper eyelid surgery: Performed on the upper eyelid to remove sagging skin, excess fat, and wrinkles.
- Lower eyelid surgery: It is performed on the lower eyelid to remove puffiness and wrinkles under the eyes.
- Surgery of both upper and lower eyelids: When eyelid surgery is performed on both eyelids, it is called a combination of upper and lower blepharoplasty.
What steps are needed before eyelid surgery in Iran?
The day before the visit to perform blepharoplasty, you need to do the following:
- Stop taking blood thinners, anticoagulants (such as aspirin), and painkillers such as ibuprofen for 1 to 2 weeks before surgery. These drugs increase the risk of bleeding.
- On the morning of surgery, you should take your essential medicines such as blood pressure medication with a little water.
- On the day of surgery, do not do any makeup on your face and wash your face before going to the clinic.
- Plan for someone to take you home after surgery and take care of you for a few hours.
- There is no need to be hospitalized after eyelid surgery; Unless, in addition to blepharoplasty, another cosmetic surgery is performed on your face.
Does blepharoplasty in Iran require anesthesia?
Blepharoplasty is usually performed on an outpatient basis and does not even require hospitalization. This procedure usually does not require general anesthesia and is performed under local anesthesia. This means that there are no risks and complications of anesthesia in this operation. If the operation is needed for children, then general anesthesia will be used for surgery.
How is eyelid surgery in Iran performed?
Blepharoplasty can be performed on the upper eyelid, lower eyelid, or both. During surgery, incisions are made along the natural lines of the eyelid below the upper eyelid cleft and slightly below the lower eyelid lashes. The incisions are made in such a way that after complete healing, they will not be visible at all. Before making incisions, while lying on the operating table, the surgeon carefully identifies areas where excess skin or fat pads should be removed.
The incision is made precisely with the help of a surgical instrument and at the end, the incision is closed using very fine sutures or tissue glue in such a way that you reach your desired appearance. How much extra skin, fat, or muscle around the eye should be removed depends on the doctor’s decision made during surgery and preoperative examinations. Factors such as facial muscle structure, bone structure, and eyebrow symmetry are among the determining factors.
If necessary, the surgeon uses a carbon dioxide (CO2) laser to improve the results and rejuvenate the surface layers of the skin to remove fine lines and wrinkles.
How is your recovery after eyelid surgery in Iran?
After surgery, the doctor applies topical antibiotics to the affected areas to minimize the risk of infections. You do not usually need a full eye dressing. On the first day after surgery, you should use a cold compress every hour for 10 to 15 minutes. This keeps swelling and bruising to a minimum. On the second day, it is recommended to use a cold compress every few hours for 10 to 15 minutes. To speed up the healing process, it is better to use a warm compress after 48 hours. The following are also effective in reducing swelling after surgery:
- Put your head up while sleeping using extra pillows.
- Consume plenty of fluids, especially water.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Reduce salt intake and use healthy and light foods.
- Rest more.
Although blepharoplasty is a minor surgery, it is still a surgical procedure; therefore, you should expect mild discomfort immediately after surgery. All discomfort and complications will improve in a few days. Postoperative pain for most patients is controlled with over-the-counter painkillers. In rare cases, there is a need for stronger painkillers, in which case your doctor will prescribe the appropriate medication.
In the first few days, it may turn blue, swollen, or red around the eyes. These are natural complications of surgery and are not a cause for concern. Your whites may also turn red, which is a normal complication. It takes several weeks to fully recover and you should not use eye cosmetics during this time. If you experience any vision problems or severe pain, you can contact the clinic. To use medical lenses, you have to wait until the eyelid swelling heals. You can use glasses after the operation, just be gentle in putting on and removing the glasses so that the areas around the eyes are not damaged.
Absorbent sutures are usually used for eyelid surgery that go away on their own within 4 to 7 days. If non-absorbable sutures are used, you should go to the clinic one week after surgery to have the sutures removed.
Smoking, in addition to all the adverse health effects, can slow down the healing process after a variety of surgeries, including blepharoplasty. Smoking also increases the risk of postoperative infection. For this, it is important to avoid smoking for two weeks before surgery and during the recovery period after blepharoplasty. After two weeks, you can use contact lenses and light makeup. Sunglasses should continue to be worn outdoors to protect your eyes from sunlight or wind.
About 6 weeks after blepharoplasty, you will see the final result of your eyelid surgery. At this stage, the residual swelling will be very mild and the sensitive tissues and muscles around the eye will be largely aligned.
What are complications and risks of eyelid surgery in Iran?
The most important complication that may be seen after eyelid surgery is the inability to close the eyes completely. This condition usually improves within a few weeks. During this time, you should use eye drops, moisturizer, and eye dressing during the night so that your eyes do not dry out.
Other risks of blepharoplasty include:
- Eyelid infection
- Dual vision
- Visible scars
- Inappropriate shape of the eyelids
- Shortening of the eyelids
- Incomplete removal of excess skin
- The eyelids numbness
Is eyelid surgery painful?
Normally you will only feel two injections of anesthesia around your eyelid and after that, you will not feel anything. But sometimes the surgeon may give a sedative to control the patient’s stress. This sedative can be both oral and injectable.
Is eyelid surgery in Iran the only way to improve the appearance of eyelids?
Non-surgical options are also available that eliminate the visible signs of aging around the eyes. Available options include:
- Botox injection: Botox is a muscle relaxant that is injected in several areas around the eyes to eliminate wrinkles and restores a youthful appearance of the eyes.
- Injectable fillers: These are fillers that are injected around the eyes to eliminate wrinkles and also help to eliminate puffiness under the eyes.
- Fat injection: This treatment involves injecting fat from another area of the body under the eyes in order to eliminate dimples and wrinkles around the eyes and improve the appearance of the eyes.
How much does eyelid surgery in Iran cost?
The cost of eyelid surgery in Iran is very low. In general, due to the low value of the Iranian currency (Rials) compared to international currencies, Iran has become a popular health tourism destination in recent years; Because patients have the opportunity to receive high-quality services in accordance with international standards in the most equipped clinics and by the most experienced plastic surgeons, while saving more than 50% in their costs! The cost of eyelid surgery in Iran is about $ 1,000 to $ 2,000; The same surgery costs up to $ 5,000 in the United States and $ 6,500 in the United Kingdom.